Beat The Heat
This summer is one of the hottest across the nation, and we certainly have felt the change in the Philadelphia area. With the rising temperatures and warnings from media outlets and local agencies we want to make sure our clients and volunteers are staying safe during the summer months. Read the following tips and be sure to share them with your family and neighbors.
- Drink lots of fluids. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink. Be sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water each day. Avoid drinks like soda, tea or alcohol because these make your body more dehydrated.
- Watch out for others. Be sure to check up on your neigbors or people you know who have medical problems (like diabetes or heart problems). Never leave seniors, children or pets alone in a car
- Stay cool inside. At home use a fan with windows open or an air-conditioned. If you have to out in the heat, try to avoid the hottest times of the day (10am – 2pm). Instead, try to go outside in the morning and evening (when it is cooler), and try to rest in the shade.
- Dress Cool. Wear light clothing, hats and sunglasses to keep you cool, also remember to wear sunscreen.
- For help when it is hot or to find place to cool off, call the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging helpline 215-765-9040.
Remember if you are someone you know is homebound and need services from Meals on Wheels please be sure to contact us today!